Friday, September 20, 2013

Wrong Winger ?

In this column, I say many things. When it comes to the Kenyan usurper in the White House, I pull no punches. I have no problem calling him a Marxist, a war criminal, a homosexual agenda pusher, a druggie, and a whole host of  nasty things. (Which, as we all know, are perfectly true.) The same goes for his Dhimmicrat and Republican't lackeys in CONgress. I never feel bad about anything I have ever said about these individuals, nor will I ever. After all, along with useless government bureaucrats, Goebbels-inspired propagandists pretending to be journalists, Hollyweird hypocrites, and unwashed liberal drones, these are the lowest forms of life on the planet (which is cooling, might I add).  They deserve to be treated with absolute scorn and ridicule, just like palmetto bugs who decide to use my patio as a home deserve to be squashed.

However, this column is different. In this column, I'm going to go in a direction that is making me downright uncomfortable. I'm going to say a few things I may regret, but they need to be said.

In this column, I'm going to talk about Pope Francis and his comments about homosexuality and abortion.

Now, before we get started, I feel it's necessary to tell you a little bit about myself. Yes, I'm Jewish. However, I didn't grow up in a religious household. Both of my parents were liberal Jews (which, let's face facts, is one short step away from atheism) who volunteered for Jimmuh Carter. (My mother, who is actually South African and Italian, was raised Catholic. She decided she was Jewish when she met my father.) It was my grandfather (my mother's father) who actually gave me real religious guidance. He used to take me to Mass with him, and although I was terrified of the Crucifix at the altar, I actually enjoyed going. I didn't understand what was going on, but going to Mass made me feel good. As I grew older, I felt more in tune with my Jewish heritage, but I will always feel at home in the Catholic Church. It would be an absolutely fair criticism to say that when it comes to religion, I'm having my cake and eating it, too. (Or you could say that I'm a confused heretic doomed to spend eternity in Hell. I can assure you, that thought crosses my mind constantly.)

You see, I'm not angry at what the Holy Father said, that “We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods" and “A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality. I replied with another question: ‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person". I'm deeply saddened by it, almost to the verge of clinical depression. One of the cornerstones of Christian thought is to "hate the sin and love the sinner", which is probably the greatest thought man has ever had. In my mind, the Pope has tossed that aside and replaced it with, "tolerate the sin and look the other way". By doing this, not only is he insulting those who stand for traditional values, but he's weakening the Church when the world needs it the most. This isn't to say that the Catholicism is superior of to Protestantism, Judaism, or the Greek Orthodox Church. (Nope, I didn't forget one. I just don't feel like writing about genocidal jihadis today.) I'm looking at the big picture, which is Christianity itself. The world needs a strong Christianity that understands right from wrong, not from a political standpoint (no one is calling for a theocracy) but from a black and white moral standpoint.

Now of course, Jesus did say "let he without sin cast the first stone", and I'm certainly not one who has any business throwing stones at anyone. In my life, I've done my share of sinning, just as you have, too. Nonetheless, I'm fairly certain Jesus never said, "Let he without sin cast the first stone, and you sinners keep on truckin'."






No comments:

Post a Comment